Current Affairs June 10 and 11, 2018
1. India’s first indigenous Lithium-Ion Battery project signed
- An agreement on 1st transfer of technology for lithium-ion batteries has been signed between the Central Electro Chemical Research Institute (CECRI) and RAASI Solar Power Pvt Ltd. According to Science and Technology Ministry, this MoU is the first of its kind for the country.
- A group at CSIR-CECRI (headed by Dr Gopu Kumar) has developed an indigenous technology of Lithium-ion cells in collaboration with CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL) New Delhi, CSIR- Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute (CSIR-CGCRI) Kolkata and Indian Institute of Chemical Technology (CSIR-IICT) Hyderabad.
- The indigenous technology of lithium-ion cells has been developed by a group of scientists at the Council for Scientific Industrial Research (CSIR)'s CECRI in Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu.
2. Delhi- most vulnerable UT in India’s disaster risk index
- National disaster risk index mapping hazards and vulnerabilities across 640 districts puts Maharashtra at top of the chart followed by West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh while Delhi is most at risk among Union territories (UTs).
- The index factors in exposure of population, agriculture and livestock and environmental risk in drawing up the rankings. This index is currently in the form of draft prepared by Union home ministry with in partnership with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Top three states of this list (i.e. West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh) are followed by Rajasthan, Karnataka, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Bihar.
3. 58 Indian companies featured in 2018 Forbes 'Global 2000' list
- 58 Indian companies has been featured on 2018 Forbes ‘Global 2000’ list of world’s largest public sector companies, the same number as last year.
- Banks and oil firms and gas companies dominated among Indian firms on list of the world’s biggest, most powerful, best, influential and valuable publicly listed companies.
- The Mukesh Ambani-led oil-to-telecom corporation, Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) (ranked 83) is retaining its top spot as the most valued Indian company on the list.
- HDFC Bank, the country’s largest financier, took second spot among Indian companies, ranking at 202 in 2018 with market capitalization of $77.6 billion. Overall, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China is ranked 1 for sixth consecutive year.
4. 44th G7 summit 2018 held in Canada
- 44th G7 summit was in La Malbaie, Quebec, Canada. This was 6th time since 1981 that Canada has hosted this summit.
- This summit received notable attention due to significant decline of relations of members with United States.
- Due to this, the summit was dubbed "G6+1" by France and some members of the media.
- The G7 is a group consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
5. India, Uzbekistan review bilateral ties
- PM Narendra Modi held a meeting with Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov during which two leaders called for more security cooperation to expand and strengthen bilateral relations.
- India and Uzbekistan are set to route their trade through the Iranian port of Chabahar.
- They also reviewed the full range of bilateral ties to boost economic and cultural links.
6. Landfill site turns into tree museum in Vadodara
- The Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) of Gujarat has converted a garbage dumping ground located at Vadsar into a museum of trees.
- Under this project, 12,663 saplings were planted on area of 50,000 square meters.
- Gardening on the site, which is worth 250 crore, began in 2016 after locals complained of the bad smell emanating from the landfill.
- Chief Minister Vijay Rupani inaugurated the project.
Click below to watch video sesion of Current Affairs June 10 and 11, 2018
7. Renowned lyricist Narayan Prasad Singh passed away
- 86-year-old Odisha's most popular lyricist, Narayan Prasad Singh was popularly known as 'Rasaraj' passed away at his residence at VSS Nagar in Bhubaneswar.
- Born on May 28th, 1933 at Koeli village, he earned his name in Odia music.
- He was the lyricist of several popular melodious songs in Odia cinema. Some of his most popular songs include ‘Udi Udi Udi Jaare Udi’, ‘Ratha Ja Chali Ja Chaka’ and ‘Sanja Sakale Tuma Chabi Khoje’.
8. India- 2nd highest sender of foreign students in US
- India is the second highest sender of foreign students to the US, next only to China with 1, 86,000 Indian students studying in United States.
- Craig Hall (US consul general in Kolkata) stated that US is the top destination for foreign students worldwide and the number of Indian students in US has more than doubled in last 10 years.
9. H R Khan appointed chairman of Bandhan Bank
- Former RBI deputy governor H R Khan has been appointed as the non-executive chairman of Bandhan Bank whereas Harun Rasid Khan is appointed as the non-executive part time chairman of the bank.
- Appointment of Khan will be for a period of three years with effect from June 5, 2018.
10. Kamila Shamsie's "Home Fire" wins 2018 Women's Prize for Fiction
- Famous British Pakistani author Kamila Shamsie's book "Home Fire" has won Women's Prize for Fiction, 2018.
- The book, also long listed for last year's Man Booker Prize, is a contemporary reimagination of Sophocles' "Antigone".
11. Former Union Minister and Senior Congress leader L.P. Shahi dead at 98
- 98-year-old Congress leader and former Union Minister L.P. Shahi died at All India Institutes of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- He was first elected to Bihar Legislative Assembly in 1980 and became an MP from Muzaffarpur in Bihar in 1984.
- Mr Shahi hailed from Bihar. He was a freedom fighter and a former CWC member.
12. Arvind Saxena appointed as acting UPSC chief
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) member Arvind Saxena has been appointed as the acting chairman of commission from June 20.
- 1978-batch Indian Postal Service officer, Saxena will take over the charge from incumbent Vinay Mittal who completes his term at UPSC
- Saxena joined the UPSC in May 2015 after completing his stint in Aviation Research Centre (ARC). He has also worked in Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
13. India beat Kenya to win Intercontinental Cup
- 33-year-old Indian captain Sunil Chhetrihas scored a brace to put himself on par with Lionel Messi and lead to Intercontinental Cup title triumph with 2-0 win over Kenya in summit clash.
- Playing in his 102nd international match, Chhetri struck in 8th and 29th minutes to hand a dominant India the trophy.
- Chhetri is now on par with Argentine superstar Messi with 64 strikes for the country to be the joint second highest international goal scorer among active players.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!