Current Affairs June 09, 2018
1. L&T’s shut 700 MW unit of Rajpura Thermal Plant
- Larsen and Toubro Group firm Nabha Power Ltd. (NPL) shut a 700 MW unit of Rajpura thermal power station due to shortage of coal.
- NPL has been supplying power to Punjab from Rajpura plant since 2014.
- NPL has been facing coal crisis since last year, forcing it to operate plant at critical levels of coal stocks.
2. HDFC Bank raises lending rate by 10 bps
- HDFC Bank, second largest private sector lender of the country, has raised marginal cost of funds based lending rate (MCLR) by 10 basis points across various loan tenures. As a result, its one-year MCLR is now at 8.4%.
- HDFC bank will charge 8.05% for one month as well as overnight loans. For six months, the private bank will charge 8.25%.
- This move comes after all major banks including State Bank of India (SBI) and ICICI Bank raised MCLR by equal amount.
3. Upward revision of pension to meritorious sportspersons
- For the welfare of Sportspersons, Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Rajyavardhan Rathore has approved the upward revision of pension to meritorious Sports persons.
- Under the revision, rate of pension has been doubled of existing rate of pension on winning medals in international sports events.
- The medal winners at Olympic and Para-Olympic Games will now get Rs 20000 as pension. The Gold medalist at World Cup and World Championship will be given Rs 16000 while Silver and Bronze medalist will get Rs 14000.
- According to the scheme, sports-person should retire from active sports career and attaining the age of 30 years at the time of applying pension.
4. West Bengal government to invest Rs 107 cr to check riverbank erosion
- The Bengal Government has decided to invest Rs 107 crore to check erosion at vulnerable areas along the banks of the Ganga and the Padma. The work will be completed by March 2019.
- Hundreds of people will get relief as they would no longer have to worry about their houses getting washed away by strong currents.
- With this investment of Rs 107 crore, a stretch of 15 km will be concretized so that the soil does not get eroded any more.
Click below to watch video session of Current Affairs June 09, 2018
5. Mithali Raj becomes first Indian cricketer to score 2,000 runs in T20 Internationals
- One of India's most talented cricketers Mithali Raj became the first Indian cricketer to score 2,000 runs in T20 Internationals. The Indian ODI captain's record was made during Asia Cup match against Sri Lanka in Kuala Lumpur
- Mithali now has 2,015 runs in 75 matches. Indian men's team captain Virat Kohli with 1,983 runs is the next on the list followed by Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina.
- She became 7th woman cricketer and the only Indian to achieve the T20I feat.
6. India and Norway sign MoU to extend health cooperation
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (HFW) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to extend the cooperation within health sector through the Norway India Partnership Initiative (NIPI) for a period of three years starting from 2018 to 2020.
- Smt. Preeti Sudan (Secretary of HFW) and Mr. ils Ragnar Kamsvag (Ambassador of Norway) signed the MoU.
- This cooperation between India and Norway is aligned with development goals of Government of India as outlined in its National Health Policy 2017 for achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The cooperation shall also focus on global health issues of common interest.
7. India, Belgium gears up to celebrate International Yoga Day
- India, Belgium and European Union are jointly organizing events in Belgian capital and across the country to celebrate 4th International Yoga Day.
- At European Parliament, a special yoga session will be held on 21 June 2018 from 1200-1330 hrs at Yehudi Menuhin Space.
- The event will be graced by Antonio Tajani (President of the European Parliament) and Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs Minister of India).
- The yoga and meditation session will be led by renowned Indian spiritual leader and Yoga Guru, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
8. Nepal hosts Asia-pacific regional conference on Early Childhood Development
- Mr. K.P. Sharma Oli (Prime Minister of Nepal) inaugurated the 2018 Asia-Pacific Regional Early Childhood Development (ECD) Conference and 3rd Asia-Pacific Regional Policy Forum on Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE).
- The event was hosted by Government of Nepal (Ministry of Education, Science and Technology) including participation from around 700 high level policy makers, government officials, development professionals as well as researchers from organizations working in early childhood development.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!