Current Affairs June 07 and 08, 2018
1. June 8- World Ocean Day
- World Oceans Day is observed across the world on June 8 to highlight major role of oceans in everyday life.
- The action focus for World Oceans Day 2018 was ‘preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean’. The agenda also coincided with the theme of World Environment Day 2018 –‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- Plastic pollution is causing tremendous harm to the marine resources. Around 80% of all pollution in ocean comes from people on land. The Plastic pollution costs the lives of 1 million seabirds and 100000 marine mammals per year.
2. Punjab government launched ‘Business First Portal’ to ease out trade in Punjab
- Punjab Government launched a ‘Business First Portal’ to give a big push towards ease of doing business. Sunder Sham Arora(state’s Industry Minister) unveiled this portal in Jalandhar, Punjab.
- Addressing the industrialists present at launch, Minister stated that online portal would enable the industrialists for regulatory clearances and fiscal approvals on a common platform.
- He also said that the jobs under Ghar Ghar Naukri flagship program of state government could be accomplished only if industry was developed.
3. India records 22% reduction in Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR)
- According to Sample Registration System (SRS) bulletin released by Office of the Registrar General, India recorded 22% reduction in Maternal Mortality Ratio (MMR) since 2013. According to SRS bulletin, Maternal Mortality Ratio in India declined from 167 in 2011-2013 to 130 in 2014-2016.
- MMR is defined as the proportion of maternal deaths per 1, 00,000 live births. The reduction in ratio was most significant in Empowered Action Group (EAG) states from 246 to 188.
- Amongst the states, Uttar Pradesh with 30% reduction has topped the chart in maternal deaths reduction.
4. World Bank approved funding for Atal Bhujal Yojana
- World Bank has approved Indian government's scheme "Atal Bhujal Yojana" worth Rs 6,000 crore to recharge and maintain groundwater level in some areas which are facing a severe water crisis in coming years.
- The scheme will be implemented over a period of five years from 2018-19 to 2022-23 with cooperation from World Bank. Implementation of the scheme is expected to benefit over 8,000 villages in over 70 districts in various states.
- The main purpose of this scheme is to improve groundwater management in priority areas through community participation.
5. Indian Navy Ships arrive in Guam for Malabar 2018
- Indian Naval Ships Sahyadri, Shakti and Kamorta of Eastern Fleet arrived at Guam participate in 22nd edition of Exercise Malabar to be held off the coast of Guam in Philippine Sea from June 7 to June 16. These ships are under the command of Rear Admiral Dinesh K Tripathi, Flag Officer Commanding of Eastern Fleet.
- Exercise Malabar was started as a bilateral exercise between the US Navy and the Indian Navy in 1992. This exercise has evolved over the years with participation of Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) from 2007.
- Malabar 17 was held in July last year on Eastern Sea Board of India, off Chennai and Visakhapatnam.
6. India ranks 137th on Global Peace Index 2018
- According to a report by Australian think tank, India has moved up four places to 137th rank among 163 countries on 2018 Global Peace Index, due to reduction in level of violent crime driven by increased law enforcement.
- Iceland remains most peaceful country in the world since 2008. New Zealand, Austria, Portugal and Denmark also sit in top five most peaceful rankings.
- Syria remains least peaceful country in the world, a position it has held for the past five years. Afghanistan, South Sudan, Iraq and Somalia comprise the remaining least peaceful countries.
- India has improved by four positions in the overall ranking from 141st to 137th.
Click below to watch video session of Current Affairs June 08, 2018
7. President declares ‘Queen Pineapple’ as Tripura’s State Fruit
- President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind declared Tripura's queen variety pineapple as state fruit.
- Kovind said that state holds good potential in world trade; hence Export of pineapple to foreign countries is a major step in connecting with world trade.
- He also inaugurated National Highway from Matabari to Sabroom in Udaipur, Tripura and visited the Matabari Temple complex in Udaipur.
8. Andhra Pradesh signed agreement with Singapore for Amaravati development
- Andhra Pradesh government and Singapore has signed several agreements for development of a start-up area in new capital, Amaravati, to transform it into a world-class city.
- The pact was signed by senior officials of state government and Singapore in presence of Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu and Singapore Trade Minister S. Iswaran.
- Under the agreement, land would be handed over in three phases - 660 acres in the first phase - to Singapore companies for infrastructure development and other promotional activities.
9. Cabinet approved India-Denmark MoU on sustainable development
- The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Denmark.
- The main purpose of this MoU is to promote bilateral cooperation in field of sustainable and smart urban development on basis of mutual benefit through exchange of knowledge, institutional cooperation, research and commercial relations on related issues.
- Under this MoU, a Joint Working Group (JWG) will be set up to strategize and implement programmes on cooperation under the framework of the agreement.
10. Cabinet approves MoU between India and Oman on Cooperation in peaceful uses of outer space
- Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India represented by ISRO and Oman represented by the Ministry of Transport and Communications.
- MoU on Cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space was signed at Muscat.
- The MoU would enable various areas of cooperation such as space science, technology and applications including remote sensing of the earth; satellite based navigation and application of space technology.
11. HP Government to scrap semester system in UG courses
- Himachal Pradesh government decided to do away with semester system in under-graduate courses and return to annual examination system.
- Suresh Bharadwaj (Education Minister) said that decision has been taken on recommendation made by an investigation committee headed by former vice chancellor to review RUSA (Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan). RUSA was introduced in the state in 2013
- Asserting that the thrust of the government was on qualitative improvement in education, a decision has also been taken to start nursery classes in 3,000 schools from this year.
12. Himachal bans use of thermocol plates
- Jai Ram Thakur (Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh) announced a ban on use of thermocol plates in state as they are major cause of pollution, as well plastic water bottles less than one litre capacity
- Making announcement at state-level function to mark World Environment Day at Sundernagar town in Mandi district, he said a steel bottle would be provided to each student in all government schools in the state to discourage use of plastic bottles.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!