Current Affairs June 07, 2019
1. PM Modi reconstitutes NITI Aayog; Shah appointed ex-officio member
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Thursday approved reconstitution of government think-tank Niti Aayog, dropping Bibek Debroy while retaining other full time members and including Home Minister Amit Shah as an ex-officio member.
- Rajiv Kumar will continue as vice-chairman of the body, along with other full-time members V K Saraswat, Ramesh Chand and V K Paul, an official statement said.
- Debroy was appointed full-time member when the Aayog was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. Besides Shah, other three ex-officio members are Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Minister Narendra Singh Tomar.
About NITI Aayog
- The National Institution for Transforming India
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Headquarters: New Delhi
2. Celebration of World Food Safety Day
- The first-ever World Food Safety Day, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in December 2018, was celebrated on 7 June 2019 under the theme "Food Safety, everyone's business". WHO, in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) is pleased to facilitate Member States effort to celebrate the World Food Safety Day this year and in coming years.Access to sufficient amounts of safe and nutritious food is key to sustaining life and promoting good health.
- Foodborne diseases impede socioeconomic development by straining health care systems and harming national economies, tourism and trade. With an estimated 600 million cases of foodborne diseases annually - almost 1 in 10 people in the world fall ill after eating contaminated - food safety is an increasing threat to human health. Children under 5 years of age carry 40% of the foodborne disease burden with 125 000 deaths every year.
- Food safety is key to achieving several UN Sustainable Development Goals and is a shared responsibility between governments, producers and consumers. Everybody has a role to play from farm to table to ensure the food we consume is safe and will not cause damages to our health. Through the World Food Safety Day, WHO pursues its efforts to mainstream food safety in the public agenda and reduce the burden of food borne diseases globally.
About United Nations General Assembly
- President: María Fernanda Espinosa
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- Founder: United Nations
- Founded: 1945, New York, New York, United States
3. Dr Harsh Vardhan reviewed the status of Nipah virus disease in Kerala
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare(MoHWF), reviewed the status of Nipah Virus Disease (NVD) in Kerala along with Ms. Preeti Sudan, Secretary (HFW) and the Ministry officials. As of now, 15 people are under observation in the state.Since June 4, 2019, Strategic Health Operation Centre (SHOC) at National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been activated and it is coordinating activities for Nipah containment.
- On June 7, 2019, the Health Minister of Kerala, Smt. K K Shailaja met the Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare Dr. Harsh Vardhan to discuss the status and preparedness of the State for containment and management of Nipah Virus Disease.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has permitted the Kerala Government to establish a regional Biosafety Level-3 (BSL-3) laboratory in Kozhikode district. The estimated cost for the project is Rs. 8 crores.Nipah virus is transmitted from animals to humans and then spreads through people to people contact, causing respiratory illness. Its symptoms include fever, muscle pain, headache, fever, dizziness, and nausea
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister:Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor:Palanisamy Sathasivam
4. Culture Minister to inaugurate exhibition-‘Unknown masterpieces of Himachal Folk Art’
- Culture Minister Prahalad Singh Patel will inaugurate the exhibition titled Unknown Masterpieces of Himachal Folk Art at National Museum in New Delhi.
- The Exhibition is being jointly organised by the National Museum and Home of Folk Art, Gurugram in which more than 240 artefacts will be on display.
- The aim of the exhibition is to highlight the Folk art tradition of Himachal Pradesh. It will remain open for public till 31st of next month.
About Himachal Pradesh
- Capital: Shimla
- Chief minister: Jai Ram Thakur
5. India Ranks 95 Among 129 Countries in Global Gender Equality Index
- India ranked 95th out of 129 countries in a new index that measures global gender equality looking at aspects such as poverty, health, education, literacy, political representation and equality at the workplace.
- The Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index has been developed by UK-based Equal Measures 2030, a joint effort of regional and global Organisations including African Women's Development and Communication Network, Asian-Pacific Resource and Research Centre for Women, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and International Women's Health Coalition
About African Women's Development and Communication Network
- Founded: 2001
- Location: Accra, Ghana
- Founders: Bisi Adeleye-Fayemi, Hilda Tadria, Joana Foster
- Key people: Bisi Adeleye-Fayemi, Theo Sowa
6. ICC World Cup 2019 | ICC Ask Dhoni to Remove Army Insignia from Keeping Gloves
- India's opening game in the ongoing World Cup saw former skipper M.S. Dhoni once again profess his love for the security forces after he was spotted with regimental dagger insignia of the Indian Para Special Forces on his wicket-keeping gloves. But the International Cricket Council (ICC) has asked the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to get the symbol removed from Dhoni's gloves.
- Speaking to IANS, Claire Furlong, ICC General Manager, Strategic Communications, said that the BCCI has been asked to get the symbol removed from Dhoni's gloves. "We have requested the BCCI to get it removed," she said.
- The "Balidaan Badge" or the Army insignia was spotted on Dhoni's gloves as television replays showed him stumping Phehlukwayo in the 40th over of the innings bowled by Yuzvendra Chahal.
- Chairperson: Shashank Manohar Trending
- Designated CEO: Manu Sawhney (Jul 2019–)
- CEO: Dave Richardson (28 Jun 2012–Jul 2019)
- Headquarters: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
7. Wipro Founder Azim Premji to Retire as Executive Chairman by End of July, Son Rishad to Take over Reins
- IIT czar Azim Premji will retire as executive chairman of Wipro Limited, a company that he founded and helmed for 53 years, with his son Rishad set to take over his position, the city-based firm said Thursday.
- Azim Premji would retire as executive chairman upon the completion of his current term on July 30, 2019 but he would continue to serve on the board as non-executive director and founder chairman, the company said.
- The company said Rishad Premji, chief strategy officer and a board member, will take over as the executive chairman following his father's retirement.
- Founder: M.H. Hasham Premji
- Owner: Azim Premji
- Headquarters: Bengaluru
- Subsidiaries: Appirio, Topcoder, Designit, Yardley of London.
Crack SBI Clerk 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!