Current Affairs June 05 and 06, 2018
1. June 5- World Environment Day
- June 5 is marked by United Nations as World Environment Day. The main purpose of this day is to encourage worldwide awareness and action for protection of environment. Each World Environment Day is organized around a theme that focuses attention on particularly pressing environmental concern.
- This year’s host country is Canada. The theme for the World Environment Day 2018 is- Beat Plastic Pollution.
- This Day was first celebrated in 1974 and since then it has grown to become a global platform for public outreach.
2. Financial Literacy Week organized by RBI
- Financial Literacy Week to bring financial inclusion and customer empowerment has begun at RBI Gangtok office.
- Ravindra Sangval (RBI Gangtok general manager cum office-in-charge) inaugurated the week in presence of representatives from various public sector and private banks, NABARD and Citizens Cooperative banks.
- This week has been organised till June 8 with the theme of consumer protection.
- The main aim behind this initiative is to create awareness among customers of banks about financial products and services, good financial practices and digitisation.
3. Government launches 'Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan' to improve farming techniques and help farmers raise their income
- Union Ministry of Agriculture and farmers’ welfare has launched Krishi Kalyan Abhiyan under which farmers will be given assistance and advice on ways to improve farming techniques and raise their income.
- The main aim of this scheme is to help farmers in 25 villages in each district identified in consultation with Rural Development Ministry as per the direction of Niti Aayog.
- 111 officers have been made in-charge of one district each for overall coordination and field level monitoring. The overall coordination and implementation in the 25 villages of a district will be done by Krishi Vigyan Kendra of that district.
- An action plan comprising identified activities under various departments of ministry (Department of Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare, Animal Husbandry Dairying & Fisheries and Department of Agricultural Research & Education) will be implemented in 25 villages in each district with these activities.
4. M K Jain has been appointed as RBI deputy governor
- Mahesh Kumar Jain (MD & CEO of IDBI Bank) has been appointed as fourth deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India for a three year term.
- Jain was previously CEO at Chennai based Indian Bank between November 2015 and March 2017.
- The fourth deputy governor’s post has been vacant since SS Mundra retired on July 31, 2017. In his new role, Jain is expected to be put in charge of banking supervision.
5. Government launches ‘Suvidha’: Oxo-biodegradable sanitary napkin
- Mansukh L Mandaviya (Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers) launched ‘Janaushadhi Suvidha’- the Oxo-biodegradable sanitary napkin under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.
- ‘Janaushadhi Suvidha’- the affordable sanitary napkin will now be available at over 3600 Janaushadhi Kendras functional in 33 states and union territories across India.
- The average price of sanitary napkins available in the market currently is around Rs 8 per pad, whereas the Suvidha napkins will be available at Rs 2.50 per pad.
- According to the National Family Health Survey 2015-16, about 58% of women aged between 15 to 24 years use locally prepared napkins, sanitary napkins and tampons.
- Further, about 78% women in urban areas use hygienic methods of protection during menstrual period; however, only 48% women in rural areas have access to clean sanitary napkins.
Click below to watch video session of Current Affairs June 05 and 06, 2018
6. Ban on polythene in Uttarakhand
- Uttarakhand Government has decided to ban the use of polythene or plastic while Tamil Nadu, Nagaland, Maharashtra and Jharkhand announced to become plastic-free states.
- This move aims at curbing rampant use of plastic which is becoming a huge environmental challenge. All the polythene vendors in Uttarakhand have been asked to finish the polythene stock before July 31.
- The state would also launch a comprehensive public awareness campaign on environmental damage caused by polythene, one week before the complete ban on polythene.
7. 11th edition of Geo Intelligence Asia organized by India
- 11th edition of Geo-Intelligence Asia 2018 organised by Geospatial Media and Communication with Directorate General of Information System as Knowledge Partners and Military Survey as Co-organisers was held at Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- The theme of seminar was -‘GeoSpatial: A Force Multiplier for Defence and Industrial Security’
- The seminar brought together the military, security officials including BSF and Police Forces, Government and industry together to examine the latest technology solutions and on the critical role of geospatial technology in military and security applications.
- The sessions during seminar covered crucial subjects including enhanced situational awareness for combat, smart cantonments and cyber security.
8. Repo Rate increased by 25 basis points Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement (2018-19)
- Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of Reserve Bank of India raised interest rate by 25 basis points to 6.25% on inflation concerns arising from surge in international oil prices.
- In second bi-monthly monetary policy for the current fiscal, central bank revised upwards retail inflation range to 4.8-4.9% in first half of 2018-19 and 4.7% in second half.
- RBI retained the gross domestic product growth for the financial year 2018-19 at 7.4%.
9. MP announced outstanding Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana 2018 (Power Bill Waiver Scheme)
- Government of Madhya Pradesh announced outstanding power bill waiver scheme for laborers and poor families.
- State cabinet headed by CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan approved Bijli Bill Mafi Yojana 2018 (Power Bill Waiver Scheme) which will benefit about 77 lakh people of state.
- The state cabinet also approved Mukhyamantri Jan Kalyan (Sambal) Yojana 2018 (a scheme to provide subsidized power) in the meeting.
- Laborers falling under the unorganized sector in Madhya Pradesh will get power supply at a subsidized rate. Under the subsidised power scheme, registered labourers of unorganised sector and Below Poverty Line (BPL) families would be provided electricity at a cost of Rs 200 per month.
10. 1st Cargo of Russian LNG reached in Gujarat
- India received 1st cargo of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) from Russia long-term deal aimed at meeting its growing energy needs. State-owned gas utility GAIL India Ltd will bring shipload of LNG from Gazprom (a Russian supplier) at Petronet LNG Ltd’s import terminal in Dahej port in the western state of Gujarat.
- Dharmendra Pradhan (Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister) received the first-ever consignment of LNG at the terminal.
- India is fourth-largest LNG importer in the world.
11. Maharashtra government announced financial aid for tur farmers
- Maharashtra government will provide financial grant of 1,000 rupees per quintal to those farmers whose tur and gram could not be purchased by administration before the May 31 deadline.
- Government had set up tur procurement target of 44.6 lakh quintals and started purchasing tur from farmers by offering them guaranteed rates following bumper tur production.
- According to Devendra Fadnavis (Chief Minister of Maharashtra), the government will also give a financial aid of 160 crore rupees to farmers whose crops got damaged due to unseasonal rain or hailstorm and a special subsidy for milk producers.
12. Japanese passport ranked the 'most powerful' in world
- As per annual passport index, Japan has been rakned the world's most powerful passport, with access to 189 countries.
- India has ranked 76th position a list of world's most powerful passports, granting its holders visa-free access to 59 countries.
- Singapore and Germany, on the other hand, have secured second place with both having access to 188 countries.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!