Current Affairs January 23 and 24, 2019
1. PM Modi hoists tricolour at Red Fort to honour Subhas Chandra Boss
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi joined a flag-hoisting ceremony at the Red Fortto mark the 75th anniversary of the 'Azad Hind government' headed by Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Survivors of the Azad Hind Fauj or Indian National Army (INA) Netaji’s grand-nephew and BJP Bengal vice-president Chandra Kumar Bose had planned to unfurl the tricolour at Red Fort and had written to the PM to join them in the celebrations.
- Subhas Chandra Bose popularly known as Netaji was born on 23rd January 1897 and died on 18th August 1945.
2. Mohammed Shami becomes fastest Indian to reach 100 ODI wickets
- Mohammed Shami became the fastest Indian to claim 100 wickets in One-day Internationals, reaching the mark in the opening match against New Zealand here.
- Shami's wicket number 100 was New Zealand opener Martin Guptill, who played onto his stumps a delivery that moved in after pitching on a good length.
- Shami is part of arguably India's best ever fast bowling attack in Test matches. In 2018, Shami picked up 47 wickets in 12 games with two five-wicket hauls. He is also an integral part of the one-day squad.
3. Nitin Gadkari Lays Foundation Stones for Namami Gange Projects in Agra and Mathura
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari laid the foundation stones of six Namami Gange projects in Agra and Mathura.
- The government is steadfastly working on cleaning the river Ganga and its 40 tributaries and major drains.The four projects in Mathura have a sanctioned cost of Rs 511.74 crore.
- These include two sewerage projects - an integrated sewerage infrastructure for the city on Hybrid Annuity Mode with ‘One-City-One-Operator’ approach and reuse of treated sewage water in Mathura refinery at a sanctioned cost of Rs 460.45 Crore.
4. PM Narendra Modi launches Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 22, 2019 launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana under which a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a government-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year.
- The first batch of 40 Indian-origin people are at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas and they would be beginning their tour from there.
- He also released two books 'Kashi: The Universe of Crafts and Textiles' and 'Indian Textiles: History, Splendour, Grandeur'.
5. 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 from 23-25 January, 2019 in Goa
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge)Shri Shripad Yesso Naik, will inaugurate the 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the ‘Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products; Advancing global collaboration’ being organized from 23-25 January, 2019 in Goa.
- The themes of the forum are: Regulatory collaborations, Converging on minimum regulatory & legal standards, Advancing safety and quality standards and Veterinary homeopathy.
- The forum will explore and illustrate the potential benefits and pitfalls of bi-lateral/multilateral collaboration and advance global cooperation on a synergistic basis.
6. Nitin Gadkari inaugurates bridge over Ravi river in J&K
- Union minister Nitin Gadkariinaugurated a bridge over the Ravi river in Jammu & Kashmir which will reduce the distance between Kathua in Jammu and Pathankot in Punjab to 8.6 km from 45 km.
- The bridge over the Ravi river at Keerian - Gandial will benefit over 2.2 lakh people living on the two sides.
- It has been constructed at a cost of Rs 158.84 crore to improve inter-state connectivity, the Road Transport and Highways.
7. Vice President Releases the book titled ‘Universal Brotherhood Through Yoga’
- Addressing the gathering after releasing the book ‘Universal Brotherhood through Yoga’the Vice President said that Yoga has the power to bring in the essential transformation required to change the way people live, think and interact with fellow human beings.
- The Vice President said that an understanding of the underlying theory and Philosophy of Yoga was essential for any practitioner to appreciate Yoga in its true sense.
- The group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices ingrained in Yoga allows people to practice self control, exercising dominion over senses and of helps in maintaining balance, he added.
8. IBBI organised insolvency and bankruptcy awareness programe at Vadodara Gujrat
- The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India, in association with the three Insolvency Professional Agencies -- the Indian Institute of Insolvency Professionals of ICAI (lead partner), organised an Insolvency and Bankruptcy Awareness Programme at Vadodara in Gujarat recently.
- A large number of stakeholders, including students, professionals, bankers, and business persons participated in the programme.
- He mentioned that an Insolvency Professional has a social responsibility and accountability, as the outcome of the resolution process directly or indirectly affects livelihood of many stakeholders.
9. India up one place on global talent competitiveness ranking at 80th
- India has moved up one position to rank 80th on the global talent competitive index, but remains a laggard among the BRICS nations.
- Switzerland continues to top the list, released on the first day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual Meeting here by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group.
- With an overall position of 45th and despite a fall of two places, China is the best performer among BRICS countries, while India remains the laggard of this grouping.
10. Unconditional cash transfer to farmer: SBI Report
- The government should opt for the unconditional cash transfer to farmers to alleviate agrarian distress rather than Universal basic Income scheme.
- The study said that there have been reports saying that government is planning to provide direct cash support to the farmers in lieu of various farm level subsidies/support.
- The report mentions that many countries have found that UBI does not address the structural problem and is at best a solution in interregnum.
CRACK IBPS CLERK EXAM
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS CLERK Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS CLERK last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS CLERK Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for IBPS CLERK Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!