Current Affairs January 09, 2018
- With an aim to assist small industries in the manufacturing components for the defence sector, the Government is going to set up a Defence Innovation Centre in Coimbatore.
- The Defence Ministry will provide an initial funding of Rs 20 crore to the Coimbatore District Small Industries Association to set up the innovation centre.
- Chief Minister of Delhi, ArvindKejriwal has launched the Delhi Common Mobility Card to promote cash-less and convenient commuting for the daily commuters in Delhi.
- With this, Delhi has become the first metro city in the country to launch such facility which can be used by the commuters in Delhi Metro and DTC buses.
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is going to issue its first US dollar denominated bond with minimum worth of $1 billion by June 2018.
- The minimum size of the issuance will be one billion dollars but as the demand will increase, the bank may increase the size.
- The maturity period will be between 3 to 5 years.
- With an aim to promote tourism, Flamingo festival was recently organized at Pulicatlake and Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary in Andhra Pradesh.
- The 3 day annual festival attracts tourism as around 9,000 to 12,000 migratory birds from Siberia visit Pulicat and Nelapattu for breeding.
- India’s fastest and first multi-petaflops supercomputer named Pratyush (meaning Sun) has been recently unveiled at Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) in Pune.
- Pratyush will help the country to better forecast in terms of monsoon, cyclones, tsunamis, earthquakes etc.
- The 34th edition of the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival which is the world’s largest ice festival has started in China.
- The festival has used nearly 2 lakh cubic metres of ice and 1.5 cubic metres of snow to feature various sculptures of the world including Moscow’s Red Square and Bangkok’s Buddha Temple.
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor N NVohra presented the 1st Mufti Mohammed Sayeed Probity in Politics and Public Life Award to Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
- Actor Sterling K Brown has created history as he has become the first African-American to win Golden Globe Award for the best actor in a drama television series.
- He has won the award for his work in the drama series ‘This is Us’.
- John Young, the legendary astronaut of NASA who flew into space six times has passed away at the age of 87 in US.
- He was NASA’s only astronaut to go into the space as a part of Gemini, Apollo and Space shuttle programme.
- He was the 9th man to walk on moon.
- Peter Sutherland, former Director General of the World Trade Organisation passed away in Dublin, Ireland.
- He was 71 years old.
Crack Railways Exam 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for Railways Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in Railways Exam last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the Railways Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for Railways Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!