Current Affairs February 07 & 08, 2018
1. Cabinet approves ratification of Minamata Convention on Mercury:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for ratifying Minamata Convention on Mercury for enabling India to become party of the convention.
- The convention aims to protect human health and the environment from anthropogenic emissions and release of mercury and mercury compounds.
- The convention has derived its name after Japanese city Minamata which had witnessed devastating incident of mercury poisoning.
2. 5th South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference in New Delhi:
- The Public Procurement Division (PPD) and All India Management Division (AIMD) have jointly hosted the 5th edition of South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference in New Delhi.
- The theme of the conference was- “Public Procurement and Service Delivery”.
- The conference aims to improve public procurement of member countries to ensure timely and quality delivery of public services.
3. Cabinet approves India-Australia MoU for Secondment Program:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Secondment Program between India and Australia.
- The Program will help to understand the current economic policy issues in both the countries that will further enhance the opportunities for future collaboration and engagement.
4. First ever Pelican Festival in Andhra Pradesh:
- The Andhra Pradesh Government will organize the first ever, one day pelican festival at the Atapaka Bird Sanctuary on Kolleru.
5. Google-NCERT pact for digital safety:
- Google and National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has signed an agreement to integrate a course on ‘Digital Citizenship and Safety’ in information and communication technology curriculum.
- The agreement was signed on Safer Internet Day (6th February) to bring awareness among the youngsters of the country to make internet a safe space.
6. Karnataka- Committee recommends separate flag:
- The 9 member committee constituted by the Karnataka Government has recommended separate state flag.
- The committee, headed by the Principal Secretary has recommended new tricolor flag having yellow, white and red colors with the state’s emblem “Gandaberunda” (a two-headed mythological bird) in the centre.
7. Google launches ‘#SecurityCheckKiya’ Campaign:
- With an aim to create awareness about internet security, Google has launched ‘#SecurityCheckKiya’ Campaign in India on the occasion of Safer Internet Day (6th February).
- The campaign aims to protect the first time web users from account hijacking and other security threats.
8. Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav in Karnataka:
- President Ram NathKovind has inaugurated the 88thMahamastakabhishekaUtsav of Lord Gomateshwara in Karnataka.
- Mahamastakabhisheka of Gomateshwara, who is also known as Bahubali takes place once in 12 years.
9. Foundation stone of Rhodendron Park laid:
- Foundation stone of Rhodendron Park was laid in the Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh by Chief Minister PemaKhandu.
- Biodiversity is continuously declining in the district.
- More than 30 species of rhododendrons would be planted and conserve in the park.
10. Haryana launches GobardhanYojna for Farmers:
- The Haryana Government has launched the GobardhanYojna to provide opportunity to the farmers for the sale of organic manure and cow urine.
11. Agni-1 Missile successfully test-fired:
- Nuclear capable ballistic Agni-1 missile was successfully test-fired from mobile launcher located at Integrated Test Range of Dr Abdul Kalam Island oo the Odisha.
- Agni-1 is an indigenously developed, intermediate range, surface-to-surface, single stage missile.
12. Hardayal Prasad- New MD and CEO of SBI Card:
- Hardayal Prasad has been appointed as new MD and CEO of SBI Card.
- He has succeeded Vijay Jasuja.
13. Kathakali dancer Madavoor Vasudevan passes away:
- Kathakali maestro MadavoorVasudevan has passed away at the age of 89.
- He was died while performing at AgasthyacoduMahadeva Temple.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!