Current Affairs August 10, 2018
1. 10 August is observed as World Bio-Fuel Day
- World Bio fuel day to be observed on 10th August 2018. World Bio fuel Day is observed every year on 10th August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and to highlight the various efforts made by the Government in the bio fuel sector.
- Bio Fuels have the benefits of reducing import dependency on crude oil, cleaner environment, additional income to farmers and employment generation in rural areas.
- The government approved the National Policy on Biofuels-2018 in June 2018.The policy has the objective of reaching 20% ethanol-blending and 5% biodiesel-blending.
2. President of India to inaugurate ‘one district one product’ summit in Lucknow
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, visit Uttar Pradesh (Lucknow) to inaugurate the ‘One District One Product’ Summit.
- The aim of the Project is to Promote traditional Industries in every district of the state.
- During the Summit, with a tagline of ‘Nayi Uddan, Nayi Pehchan’ the President Distributed loan Sanction papers to some artisans.
3. Global Innovation Index, GII-2018 launched in India
- India’s rank on the Global Innovation Index(GII) has improved from 60 in 2017 to 57 in 2018. India has been consistently climbing the GII ranking for the past two years.
- This year’s report shows that India has been constantly outperforming on innovation relative to its level of development for many years in a row.
- According to sources NITI Aayog will join hands with CII to drive innovation in India.
4. Nicholas Bett, Kenya’s former 400m hurdles world champion dies aged 28
- Nicholas Bett, Kenya’s former 400m hurdles world champion has died aged 28, following a car crash.
- Bett had just returned from the Africa Championships in Nigeria when he died in Nandi, north west Kenya.
- In 2015, he made history in China by becoming the first Krnyan to win a world gold at a distance shorter than 800m.
5. Ivan Duque sworn in as Colombia’s next president
- Colombia’s President-elect Ivan Duque has been sworn in as the country’s 60th President.
- More than 12,000 police were deployed in the historic centre of the capital Bogota for Duque’s inauguration.
- He replaced Juan Manuel Santos and became the youngest president in Colombia’s recent history.
6. RBI to pay Rs 50,000 crore dividend to government for FY 18
- The Reserve Bank of India(RBI) said it has decided to pay a dividend of Rs. 50,000 crore to the union government for the year ending June 30,2018.
- The RBI had last year transferred a surplus of Rs 30,659 crore as dividend to the government for the year ended June 30,2017 which was less than half of what it paid in the previous year.
- RBI surplus forms sizeable chunk of revenue which government earns under head of ‘non-tax’, which is mainly dividends distributed by state owned firms.
7. RSS thinker S Gurumurthy, Satish Marathe appointed as non official Directors of RBI board
- Swaminathan Gurumurthy and Satish Kashinath Marathe appointed as Part-time non official directors of the Reserve Bank of India(RBI) Board.
- Gurumurthy, an economist and chartered accountant by profession, is also the co-convenor of RSS-affiliated Swadeshi Jagran Manch.
- Gurumurthy is also the editor of Tamil magazine Thuglak. He had referred demonetistion decision as equivalent of Financial Pokhran.
CRACK IBPS RRB EXAM
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS RRB Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS RRB last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS RRB Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for Officers Scale -1 & Assistant Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!