Current Affairs August 09, 2018
1. Commerce & Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu launches Mobile App Niryat Mitra
- Union Minister of commerce & Industry and Aviation Suresh Prabhu launched Niryat Mitra- mobile App
- The app developed by the federation of India Export Organization is available both on Android and on IOS platforms.
- The app works internally to map the ITC HS code of other countries with that of India and provides all the required data without the uses bothering about the HS code of any country.
- It will provides wide range of information required to undertake international trade right from the policy provisions for export and import, applicable GST rate, available export incentives, tariff, preferential tariff market access requirements- SPS and TBT measures.
- Federation of India Export Organization (FIEO) was set up in 1965.
2. Harivansh Narayan Elected as Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
- NDA candidate Harivansh was elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, defeating Opposition’s BK Hariprasad.
- Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu initiated the process of the election by calling for division of votes in the house. While Harivansh secured 125 votes, Hariprasad got 105.
- Harivensh is an MP from the Janta Dal and a parliamentarian from Bihar and a former journalist.
- The nomination of Harivansh was proposed by Ram Prasad Singh and BJP president Amit Shah among others.
3. Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve Becomes 11th Biosphere Reserve from India to be included in the World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- The Khangchendzonga biosphere Reserve has become the 11th biosphere Reserve from India that has been included in the UNESCO designated World Network of biosphere Reserves (WNBR).
- Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve in WNBR was taken at the 30th Session of International Coordinating council (ICC) of Man and Biosphere (MAB) Programme of UNESCO held at Palembang, Indonesia
- Khangchendzonga Biosphere Reserve in Sikkim is one of the highest ecosystems in the world, reaching elevations of 1220 meters above sea-level.
- India has 18 Biosphere Reserves and with the inclusion of Khangchendzonga, the number of internationally designated WNBR has become 11, with 7 Biosphere Reserves being domestic Biosphere Reserves.
4. Union Government, NABARD and NWDA sign revised MOA for funding of 99 projects under PMKSY
- The Union Ministry of Water Resources, the NABARD and the National Water Development Agency signed a revised Memorandum of Agreement(MOA) for funding of central share of 99 prioritised irrigation projects under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana(PMKSY).
- The revised MOA will enable the Ministry of Water Resources to release Central Assistance to prioritized projects under PMKSY as per the requirements from time to time.
- The funding will be done through the Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF).
5. TOKYO 2020 Olympics to up security with facial recognition technology
- A facial recognition system will be used across an Olympics for the first time as Tokyo organizers work to keep security tight and efficient at dozens of venues during the 2020 Games.
- The NeoFace technology developed by NEC Corp. will be customized to monitor every accredited person-including athletes, officials, staff and media-at more than 40 venues, games villages and media centers.
- It is the fastest system where the technology takes only 0.3 seconds to match up face with pre registered photo.
6. Indian-American high Schooler wins International Geography Bee World Championship
- Indian-American high school student Avi Goel has won the world championship at the International Geography Bee’s junior varsity division was held in Berlin.
- He won a gold medal in seven out of the 10 medal event, and a silver medal in two of the events, topping the overall medals table.
- He also bagged the top spot in all the three events counting towards the world championship title: the International Geography Exam, the International Geography Showdown, and the International Geography Bee.
- 14 year old Avi is a tenth grader at Silver Creek High School in Evergreen, San Jose, California.
7. SBI launches MOPAD, a unified payment terminal
- State Bank of India, the largest lender with a fifth of the market share, launched a payment machine that would help merchants eliminate the multiple choices that they keep to Facilitate transactions from cards to QR code based payments.
- The new device titled MOPAD is a Point of Sale(POS) terminal that would along with cards accept payments through UPI, Bharat QR, and SBI Buddy wallet.
- MOPAD stands for Multi Option Payment Acceptance Device.
CRACK IBPS CLERK EXAM
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS CLERK Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS CLERK last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS CLERK Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for IBPS CLERK Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!