Current Affairs April 14, 2018
1. e-FRRO scheme launched by Union Home Ministry
- Rajnath Singh, the Union Home Minister launched a web-based application, e-Foreigners Regional Registration Office (e-FRRO) Scheme.
- This scheme aims to provide fast and efficient services to foreigners who visit India so that they can have a pleasant stay.
- Through this application, foreigners will be able to get 27 Visa and Immigration related services in India.
- e-FRRO Scheme has been implemented as a pilot project in four Foreigners Regional Registration Offices (FRROs) in Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi and Mumbai.
2. India ranked 130th in Economic Freedom Index 2018
- The Heritage Foundation, an American think-tank published Index of Economic in which India jumped 13 places to achieve the 130th spot.
- As per the latest edition, India moved up to the 130th spot up from 143 in 2017.
- India's economic freedom score was 54.5.
- Hong Kong topped the Economic Freedom Index followed by Singapore and New Zealand.
3. NHAI signs agreement for its first International project
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) signed an agreement for its first international project as part of the India-Myanmar-Thailand (IMT) Trilateral Highway.
- The project has been funded by Ministry of External Affairs and would be executed on EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) mode at a cost of Rs.1177 crores.
- The project will have 3 new major bridges and 2 new minor bridges. The project would be completed in three years.
- NHAI with M/s Punj Lloyd Ltd. – Varaha Infra Ltd. (JV) signed the agreement for the upgradation of Yagyi – Kalewa section of highway in Myanmar to two lanes with earthen shoulder.
- The IMT Trilateral Highway would become operational by December 2019.
4. Sripriya Ranganathan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea
- Sripriya Ranganathan has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Korea.
- Sripriya Ranganathan is 1994 batch Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS).
- Currently, she is Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
5. India and Russia signed 7 MoU at DefExpo 2018
- India and Russia signed 7 MoUs at Defence Expo at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- These MoUs were signed between Indian Private Defence sector manufacturing companies and Russian Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) for manufacture, development of spares, sub-assemblies and assemblies of identified Russian origin platforms during third India-Russia Military-Industrial Conference held on the sidelines of DefExpo 2018.
Click below to watch video session of Current Affairs 14 April, 2018
6. Myanmar’s Kalay Airport to be developed by AAI
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has signed an agreement with the Ministry of External Affairs for preparation of a Detailed Project Report (DPR) for development of the Kalay Airport as a green airport in Myanmar.
- AAI had developed more than 60 airports in metro and non-metro cities in India.
7. Siddhartha Varadarajan will be honoured with the Shorenstein Journalism Award for 2017 at Stanford University
- Siddhartha Varadarajan, the founding editor of ‘The Wire’, will receive the Shorenstein Journalism Award for 2017 at Stanford University.
- The award is given annually by Stanford University’s Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center and alternates between recipients from the West and Asia.
8. 14 April- Dr. BR Ambedkar Jayanti
- India celebtrates Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar on his 127th birth anniversary at the Parliament House Complex, New Delhi.
- Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar was born on 14th April 1891 at Mhow in Madhya Pradesh which is now known as Dr Ambedkar Nagar.
- He was the chief architect of the Constitution as well as the first law minister of India.
9. Sanjeev Rajput won Gold in Shooting at CWG 2018
- Shooter Sanjeev Rajput won the men's 50m Rifle 3 Positions with a Games record at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- This medal was his third successive medal at the CWG, after having bagged silver and bronze in the 2014 and 2010 editions respectively.
- India's Chain Singh stood fifth in the same event.
10. Neeraj Chopra won Gold in Javelin Throw at CWG 2018
- Neeraj Chopra, 1st Indian javelin thrower won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games, with a season’s best effort of 86.47m in the final.
- The 20-year-old junior world champion, Neeraj was favourite for gold after his 85.94m throw in March 2018 at Patiala during the Federation Cup National Championships.
11. Mary Kom, 1st Indian Woman won CWG Boxing Gold at CWG 2018
- MC Mary Kom has become the first Indian woman boxer to win a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games.
- She is five-time world champion and Olympic bronze medallist
- Mary Kom defeated Northern Ireland's Kristina O'Hara in the 45-48kg category final at Gold Coast, Australia.
Crack SBI Clerk 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI Clerk Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI Clerk last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI Clerk Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI Clerk Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!