Current Affairs April 11, 2019
1. India, Singapore joint military exercise kicks off in Babina
- Military forces of India and Singapore got together to participate in a joint exercise in Babina Cantonment in Jhansi.
- The three-day exercise, ‘Bold Kurukshetra–2019’, is being conducted to develop military technology, boost maritime security and bolster the nations’ fight against terrorism.
- As per an official press note issued by the Indian government, the two countries had signed a cooperation agreement to strengthen the defence ties between Indian Military and Singapore Armed Forces in November, 2017.
2. Veer Parivar App launched for families of martyred CRPF troops
- President Ram Nath Kovind has launched Veer Parivar App for families of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel killed in the line of duty. It was launched on the occasion of the CRPF's 'Valour Day' observed on April 9.
- The day is observed by the force every year as a remembrance of the gallant fight back by a small contingent of the 2nd Battalion of CRPF against an attack by a Pakistani Brigade at the Sardar post in Gujarat’s Rann of Kutch on April 9, 1965.
- The Android-based app will be installed by the force’s officials securely on the phone of the families and will not be available over the app stores.
3. "Deeply Regret Jallianwala Bagh": British PM Theresa May In Parliament
- British Prime Minister Theresa May described the Jallianwala Bagh massacre in Amritsar in 1919 as a "shameful scar" on British Indian history but stopped short of a formal apology sought by a cross-section of parliament in previous debates.
- The UK government has announced that on the centenary of the massacre British high commission in New Delhi would visit the memorial site on April 13 and lay a wreath.
- In a statement, marking the 100th anniversary of the massacre, at the start of her weekly Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, she reiterated the "regret" already expressed by the British government.
4. Collegium recommends Justice Vikram Nath as First Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh HC
- The Supreme Court Collegium has recommended that Allahabad High Court judge, Justice Vikram Nath be appointed the first Chief Justice of the recently constituted Andhra Pradesh High Court at Amaravati.
- Justice Vikram Nath obtained his law degree in 1986. Following his enrolment in 1987, he practised in the Allahabad High Court.
- He was appointed an additional judge of the Allahabad High Court in 2004. He was made a permanent judge of the High Court in 2006.
5. World World Homeopathy Day 2019 observed on 10 April
- Every year World Homeopathy Day is observed on April 10, the birthday of Dr Samuel Hahnemann who discovered Homeopathy in 1796.
- Homeopathy is an alternative system of medicine based on the principle of ‘Like cures like’.
- Academic homoeopathy institutes comprise 35.8% of AYUSH colleges, while homeopathy practitioners are 37% of the AYUSH in total.
6. Champion shot putter Manpreet Kaur banned for 4 years for failing dope tests
- Asian champion shot putter Manpreet Kaur has been banned for four years by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for flunking four dope tests in 2017.
- The period of suspension would begin from July 20, 2017, the date of her provisional suspension, according to an order of the anti-doping disciplinary panel (ADDP) of the NADA dated March 29.
- Manpreet had failed for an anabolic steroid in the Asian Grand Prix and for a stimulant in the Federation Cup, Asian championships and National inter-state championships.
7. National Green Tribunal imposes Rs 100-crore penalty on Andhra Pradesh govt over illegal sand mining
- The National Green Tribunal has slapped an interim penalty of Rs 100 crore on the Andhra Pradesh government for inaction to prevent illegal sand mining in the state.
- The green panel said it is the duty of the government to provide complete protection to the natural resources as a trustee of the public at large.
- The tribunal directed the state government to deposit Rs 100 crore 'environment compensation' with the Central Pollution Control Board within a month.
CRACK SBI PO 2019
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for SBI PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in SBI PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the SBI PO Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for SBI PO Exam to guide you through your preparations.Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!