Current Affairs 4 October, 2017
1. Government launches SECURE Himalaya Project:
- With an aim to conserve locally and globally significant biodiversity, land and forest resources in the Himalayan Ecosystem, the Government has launched the SECURE Himalaya Project in the four states of Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Sikkim.
- The Project has been launched by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in association with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
- The Project emphasized to protect the Snow Leopard and the other endangered species and their habitats alongwith securing the livelihood of people.
2. Global Wildlife Program Conference:
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) in association with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) has hosted the Global Wildlife Program Conference in New Delhi.
- The theme of the conference was- “People’s participation in wildlife conservation”.
- Global Wildlife Program (GWP):
It is a global initiative taken by the 19 countries in Asia and Africa to promote conservation and sustainable development by combating the trafficking in wildlife.
3. Karnataka Government launches MathruPoorna Scheme:
- To fulfill the nutritional requirement of pregnant and lactating women in rural areas, the Karnataka Government has launched MathruPoorna Scheme.
- Under the scheme, the pregnant and lactating poor women will get one nutritional meal daily for 25 days in a month.
- The nutritious food will be provided for 15 months, right from the beginning of pregnancy upto six months after the delivery.
4. SoumyaSwaminathan new Deputy DG of WHO:
- SoumyaSwaminathan has been appointed as the new Deputy Director General by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- This is for the first time that such position has been created within WHO and highest post held by Indian in WHO.
- She will succeed Dr. AnarfiAsaoma from Ghana.
5. 2017 Nobel Prize in Physics goes to American Scientists:
- Three American scientists, Rainer Weiss, Barry C. Barish and Kip S. Thorne have been selected by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for the 2017 Nobel Prize in physics.
- They have been selected for their contribution to the Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) detector and observation of gravitational waves.
6. Turtle Sanctuary to be set up in Allahabad:
- The Union Government has given green signal to set up Turtle Sanctuary in Allahabad along with River Biodiversity Park under the NamamiGange Program.
- The purpose of this sanctuary is to protect the rich aquatic biodiversity of river Ganga from escalating anthropogenic pressures.
7. Foundation stone laid for National waterway on Krishna River:
- Foundation stone to develop Muktyal to Vijaywada waterway stretch on River Krishna has been laid by the Vice-President M VenkaiahNaidu at Amravati in Andhra Pradesh.
- The 82 km long inland waterway stretch is phase-1 of the National Waterway-4 developed under Sagar Mala Project.
- It will be used mainly to bring cement and construction material for new capital city Amravat
|CLICK HERE TO READ 3 OCTOBER CURRENT AFFAIRS|
CRACK IBPS PO 2018
IBT Institute offer you the most trusted and highly recommended Test Series for IBPS PO Exam. 8 out of every 10 candidates selected in IBPS PO last year opted for IBT Online Test Series.
Keeping in mind the IBPS PO Exam, IBT has launched Special batches for IBPS PO Exam to guide you through your preparations. Seats filling fast. Don’t miss out!!