SSC CHSL stands for staff selection commission combined higher secondary level examination. The examination will consist of a Computer based Written Examination (Tier-I), Descriptive Paper (Tier-II) and Typing Test/Skill Test (Tier-III) Examination for the post of Data Entry Operator, Postal Assistant & Sorting Assistant (PA/SA), Lower Division Clerk and Court Clerk.
1. Computer Based Examination (Objective type) Pattern 2016:
Written examination consists of Objective Type- Multiple choice questions only.The questions will be set both in English & Hindi except English section.
General Intelligence (25 questions)
75 Minutes total
English Language (Basic Knowledge) (25 Questions)
Quantitative Aptitude (Basic Arithmetic Skill) (25 Questions)
General Awareness (25 Questions)
Note: There will be negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer.
2. Tier-II (Descriptive Paper):
Tier-II Paper of CHSL 2016 was descriptive Paper of 100 Marks in ‘Pen and Paper Mode. The duration of the paper was for one hour. This paper has been introduced to assess the writing skills of the candidates which is necessary in Government jobs. The exam includes writing of an Essay of 200-250 words and Letter / Application writing of approximately 150-200 words. The minimum qualifying marks in Tier-II is 33 per cent. The performance in Tier II would be included for preparing merit. The paper will have to be written either in Hindi or in English. Part paper written in Hindi and Part in English will not be evaluated.
Tier-III of the Examination continued to the Skill Test / Typing Test which is a qualifying in nature. The final merit of the successful candidates would be determined on the basis of total score obtained by them in Tier-I and Tier-II. Skill Test /Typing Test conducted in consonance with the provisions contained below:
Skill test for Data Entry Operator:
Data Entry Speed of 8,000 (Eight thousand) Key Depressions per hour on Computer.
The ‘Speed of 8000 key depressions per hour on Computer’ will be adjudged on the basis of the correct entry of words/key depressions as per the given passage and the duration of the said Test will be 15 (Fifteen) minutes and printed matter in English containing about 2000- 2200 strokes/key-depressions would be given to each candidate who would enter the same in the Computer.
The skill test will be held at the Commission's Regional Offices or other centers as may be decided by the Commission.
Typing Test for Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant LDCs and Court Clerks:
Candidates opting for English medium should have typing speed of 35 words per minute and those opting for Hindi medium should have typing speed of 30 words per minute. The speed will be adjudged on the accuracy of typing on the Computer of a given text passage in 10 minutes.
4. SSC CHSL Eligibility criteria:
Candidate must have passed 12th Standard or equivalent examination from a recognized Board or University.
5. SSC CHSL 2016 Exam Syllabus:
General Intelligence: It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test will include questions on Semantic Analogy, Symbolic operations, Symbolic/Number Analogy, Trends, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation ,Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/Number Classification, Drawing inferences ,Figural Classification ,Punched hole/pattern-folding & unfolding , Semantic Series, Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Number Series, Embedded figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Social Intelligence, Coding and de- coding, Other sub-topics, if any Numerical operations.
English Language: Spot the Error, Fill in the Blanks, Synonyms/Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/ Detecting Mis-spelt words, Idioms & Phrases, One word substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/Passive Voice of Verbs, Conversion into Direct/Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage.
1. Number Systems: Computation of Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship between numbers
2. Fundamental arithmetical operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Allegation, Time and distance, Time and work.
Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra and Elementary surds (simple problems) and Graphs of Linear Equations.
Geometry: Familiarity with elementary geometric figures and facts:
Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base
Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, Complementary angles, Height and distances (simple problems only) Standard Identities like sin20 + Cos20=1 etc.,
Statistical Charts: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar- diagram, Pie-chart
General Awareness: Questions are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General policy and scientific research.
6. SSC CHSL - CAREER GROWTH, JOB PROFILE and PAY SCALE
Roles & Responsibilities
• LDC/JSA is the first level of clerks in any Government Organization.
• They are responsible for the registration of mails, data entry on computer, Supervision of correction of reference books.
• They are responsible for the daily office work.
• They are also responsible to maintain the record of data, files and documents of the office.
• They also have to receive documents, to get the important files and documents for their seniors and maintain the record of the same.
• They have to type official letters, notices, notifications and other official documents and also to make salary slip of the entire staff.
• The DEO should have good knowledge of computer and office tools like MS OFFICE (word, excel, power point etc.
• The government organizations have a huge amount of client data. The DEO is responsible to safeguard them.
• DEO is responsible for preparation of notes, reports, entering data and managing the data.
• The DEO has direct interaction with the client and senior officials.
• The Data Entry Operator is responsible for operating data entering, maintaining, and updating on a routine basis.
• Writing Letters and Handling the Work in the absence of SSC CHSL LDC.
• Inputting the Data and Fetching out the Outputs and Scanning and printing the important documents.
3. Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant
• Postal Assistant has an advantage that you can get the job in the Postal Department of Government of India in your home town because language proficiency is the essential criteria.
• Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant are responsible for the customer handling, customer support, and to solve the customer queries.
• Intra-city transmission of mail between Mail Offices and Post Offices and Transmission of Foreign articles through the post office network.
• Locating the correct address of the addressee, if not located, locating the address of the sender and returning the mail to the sender in case of not being able to locate the address of the receiver.
1. Lower Division Clerk (LDC)/ Junior Secretariat Assistant (JSA):
Pay Band -1 (Rs. 5200-20200), Grade Pay: Rs. 1900 (pre-revised)
2. Postal Assistant (PA)/ Sorting Assistant (SA):
Pay Band -1 (Rs. 5200-20200), Grade Pay: Rs. 2400 (pre-revised) Data Entry Operator (DEO): Pay Band-1 (Rs. 5200-20200), Grade Pay: Rs. 2400 (pre-revised) and
3. Data Entry Operator, Grade ‘A’:
Pay Band-1 (Rs. 5200-20200), Grade Pay: Rs. 2400 (pre-revised)
Growth Career and Promotions
• Assistant / Upper Division Clerk
• Division Clerk
• Section Officer.
• Data Entry Operator Grade B
• Data Entry Operator Grade C
• Data Entry Operator Grade F (System Analyst)
3. Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant
• Lower Selection Grade e.g. Supervisor
• Higher Selection Grade II e.g. Senior Supervisor
• Higher Selection Grade III e.g. Chief Supervisor
Cut Off for Candidates qualified for Data Entry Skill Test for DEO in C&AG
Cut Off Marks in Paper 1 &11
Cut off for Candidates qualified for Typing Test for Postal Assistant/Sorting Assistant/LDC/Court Clerk
Mnimum Qualifying Marks in Paper II
Cut Off for Candidates qualified for Data Entry Skill Test for DEO in Deptt. Other than C&AG
Mnimum Qualifying Marks in Paper I & II